Listings of available off-campus housing are also maintained in the Office of Residential Life. For specific information about off-campus housing, contact the Office of Residential Life in the basement of the State Quadrangle at (518) 442-5875, or visit them online. Residential Life provides a web site with rental availabilities for students to access: http://www.albany.edu/housing/offcampus.shtml. You may also wish to review the Tenant and Landlord Rights and Responsibilities document that UAlbany has put together to understand the basics of renting an apartment in Albany.
Generally, inexpensive quality housing for students is available on New Scotland Ave. near Albany Medical Center and the Albany College of Pharmacy. Apartments near main bus lines, like Washington Ave. and Western Ave., may be a wise choice for students without vehicles. The Health Sciences Campus Shuttle runs up and down Madison Ave and comes directly to the Health Sciences Campus. Students without vehicles should find off-campus apartments accordingly. Other suitable living areas include the area between Lark Street, Madison Ave., and Swan Street. Students that have access to a vehicle are open to more options when searching for housing.
Local newspapers such as the Times Union feature rental sections that provide apartment availability information. It is also helpful to explore the location that is of interest to you and look for rental signs or visit rental offices.
If you would like to live near the Health Sciences Campus, there are several apartment complexes within a few miles of the campus. Some of which include:
- UH College Suites: (518) 694-9000 http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/
- Mill Creek Apartments: (518) 477-7933 http://www.dawnhomes.com/Mill-Creek-c12.html
- Horizon Ridge: (518) 477-7542 http://www.dawnhomes.com/Horizon-Ridge-c7.html
- The Apartments at Forrest Pointe: (518) 477-2600 http://www.dawnhomes.com/Forrest-Pointe-c5.html
- Oak Hill Apartments: (518) 283-8400 http://www.albany-oakhill.com/
- Capital View Apartments: (518) 465-9767 http://www.tricityrentals.com/AlbanyRegion/CapitolView/CapitolViewHome.aspx
- Greenbush Station (518) 477-8314 http://www.solomonorg.com/Greenbush-Station
Websites which may be helpful in searching for housing include (but are not limited to):
- The Renter’s Guide: www.rentersguidealbany.com
- Apartment Finder: www.apartmentfinder.com/New-York/East-Greenbush-Apartments
- Craigslist: http://albany.craigslist.org
Keep in mind that there are many options along the bus routes if you do not have access to a vehicle. You can ride both the UAlbany buses and CDTA buses free of charge with your SUNY ID. The East Campus Shuttle runs directly from Madison Ave to the Health Sciences Campus. Their routes are available at:
To find a roommate, please visit the Roommate Finder discussion boards. New and current School of Public Health students can post their interest in finding a roommate or an opening in their current apartment.